Nova PRION 3 (PAST MODEL)
Superseded by the PRION 4.
The PRION 3 is a good-natured wing with simple and balanced flying characteristics, which makes it the perfect paraglider for newcomers and improvers.
PRION 3 - hungry for adventure
Enjoyment through innovation: the PRION 3 offers up-to-date features combined with an intelligent material mix, which substantially reduces the canopy weight. The result is a wing that excites with its agile handling, but which you can trust completely. Have your adventures on the PRION 3!
The PRION 3 is full of features which make it very safe but it also has lots of performance. Whether you are doing top-to-bottoms, crossing valleys or attempting FAI triangles - the PRION 3 is simple to fly and convinces with its playful handling and impressive performance. There are no limits to your adventures.
Light and progressive.
Less weight, same durability: the PRION 3 is a weight-optimised wing that is also tough. The outer shell is made of robust material but the glider weight is reduced through lightweight materials and innovative structural design inside the wing. The result is a wing that is light to carry, easy to launch but still tough and durable.
Simple and safe.
Like its predecessors, the PRION 3 is brilliantly simple: few lines means easy sorting. The low aspect ratio of 4.7 means a high degree of passive safety. The handling is agile and also balanced, which helps pilots during all phases of a flight. Other safety features are the thoughtfully designed riser and adjustable brake handles.
The PRION 3 is a good-natured wing with simple and balanced flying characteristics, which makes it the perfect paraglider for newcomers and improvers. The PRION 3 convinces with complete simplicity when sorting lines, its launch characteristics and when turning. Thanks to its excellent performance, there is good potential for cross-country flights.
PRION 3 specification
- the risers are differentiated by colours: red (left) and green (right). This helps to avoid clipping in the wrong way.
- The PRION 3 is fitted with an Adjustable Handle as standard. This is an innovative brake handle, which can be individually adjusted to the pilot's hand and this makes it easier to hold in the correct position. The Adjustable Handle was developed in collaboration with the DHV.
- The risers and lines follow the PMA recommended colour scheme: A = red, B = yellow, C = blue, brake = orange, stabilo line = green.
- Inside the wing, the PRION 3 is weight-optimised, which makes it easier to carry, easier to launch and smoother in extreme flight. For more information see the Weight Optimised section below.
- The PRION 3 is full of NOVA's innovations like Smart Cells or Double 3D Shaping - for more information see the Technologies section below.
Safety Wing Tips
Locked-in spirals are a significant risk in paragliding. To reduce the risk of such a locked-in spiral we have fitted the PRION 3 with Safety Wing Tips. These are specially angled wing tips, which assist when exiting a spiral. When the brake pressure is reduced, the PRION 3 has a tendency to right itself to a normal flying attitude.
The Safety Wing Tips of the PRION 3 assist the righting moment and therefore the passive safety of the wing.
Optimised cell widths.
Smart Cells counteract the variable force distribution within the wing that are caused by the line attachments. In NOVA paragliders constructed using Smart Cells, the cell widths have been adapted to the load - basically, intelligent cells. Wings with Smart Cells fly more calmly, are more compact
and glide better.
Less is more.
Our idea of a three-liner with a reduced amount of line length allows us to construct wings with very good performance and a high degree of passive safety. The way we have conceptualised the lines has made it possible to manufacture wings which are collapse resistant; but when they do collapse, the collapsed area is generally less extensive. This significantly improves the wing‘s extreme flight behaviour.
NOVA Air Scoop is an optimised air intake, which in-creases the internal wing pressure. Nova‘s Air Scoop principle is similar to the ram-air inlet duct on a sports car: increased airflow produces higher pressure. Higher internal pressure in a paraglider means improved performance through increased
structural stability and collapse resistance.
Comfort on the ground.
All NOVA paragliders are made to be easy to use. For packing you can use a concertina bag, but it is not essential. Our extensive experience with rods has taught us that the packing method has little influence on the durability of the wing. Bent rods quickly spring back into their original shape.
Flat profile nose.
Anyone who tries to fold a piece of paper around a ball will notice that there are always creases.
The nose profile of a paraglider is the same - the sail cloth has to adjust to both the profile and ballooning effect (cells are round, not straight). Double 3D Shaping uses additional seams to reduce creasing and therefore increases the performance of the wing.
Light and durable.
Paragliders in the weight-optimised category are lighter than conventional paragliders - but offer the same mechanical stability and durability. These wings are lighter to carry, easier to launch and
are therefore suitable for hike & fly. Weight-optimised is aimed at pilots who appreciate light weight without compromising on durability.
|Number of cells||39|
|Projected aspect ratio||3,3|
|Flat aspect ratio||4,66|
|Line diameter||1 / 1,4 / 1,85|
|Total line length||213||226||240||252|
|Recommended take off weight||55-85||75-100||90-110||100-130|
|Certification (EN/LTF)||A (TBD)||A||A||A|
|Leading edge||DOKDO 30DMF|
|Top surface||DOKDO 30DMF|
|Lower sail||DOKDO 30DMF|
|Profile ribs (suspended)||Porcher Skytex 40 Hard|
|Profile ribs (unsuspended)||DOKDO 20 DMF|
|Main lines||PPSL 275, TSL 280, PPSL 160|
|Gallery lines||Cousin 85 / DSL 70|
|Brake lines||Cousin 85|
|Risers||20mm Güth Wolf|
Standard Colours: Orange, Petrol, Pink, Lime
Custom Colours: Choose your colours here then email us the NOVA colour code with your order.
Scope of delivery
- NOVA Rucksack. The wing and harness will determine the size of the rucksack. We are offering our high quality and comfortable to carry models in S (110 litres), M (145 litres) and L (165 litres).
- Repair kit. Everyone hopes it will never happen: a hole or tear in the paraglider. We have included a minor damage repair kit in the right colour for such an eventuality.
- NOVA windsock. So you know where the wind is coming from, we have added a NOVA windsock. With a length of approximately 80cm it is large enough for a take-off site.
- Speed system. Your paraglider is fitted with a high quality speed system. Thanks to three holes in the cord attachment point, it will flexibly and simply adapt to your harness and leg length.
- Manual. We have enclosed a very detailed manual which contains everything you need to know about your paraglider. Please study it before flying your wing for the first time.
Service Info & FAQs
Read Nova Paragliders service information and answers to frequently asked questions here.
- Manual (PDF)
|EN Certification||EN A|
|LTF Certification||LTF A|
|Model Status||Past model|