Nova Ion 4 (PAST MODEL)
ION 4 - Performance for All
Adventure intermediate with smart brakes (EN/LTF B)
High performance, light and a master at turning: the ION 4 has a better glide than the MENTOR 3. From 3.95 kg (XXS) it is feather light and thanks to its smart brakes, it offers impressive handling and climb performance. Discover the new milestone in the ION series!
Performance inside. The result of analytical improvements and technologies like the Smart Cells, the Air Scoop and the new PPSL 191 lines have assisted us to create a wing with groundbreaking performance data. The ION 4 performs better than the MENTOR 3 - to date the only EN/LTF certified B wing to have flown a 300km FAI triangle. But the demand on the pilot stays the same: an ION is an ION and it offers performance for all.
Smart Brakes. Our design team used the idea of Smart Cells to create Smart Brakes. The team designed a new geometry, so that the brakes run in line with the direction of force. A refined canopy shape and tapered wing tips underpin the design optimisation. The result: a brake configuration that pulls down the trailing edge symmetrically and with little effort. This means the wing is easier to turn, climbs more efficiently and is more fun to fly.
Feather light technology bundle. The ION 4 is a well thought out adventure intermediate, that is also wonderfully simple to fly. With only 3.95 kilograms (XXS) it makes the carry up or mountain adventure easy. The light weight makes the ION 4 simple to launch and improves its extreme flight behaviour. The reduced weight is the result of smart material selection and an optimised internal construction which has been subjected to rigorous strength analysis.
»The ION 4 is suitable for a wide spectrum of pilots. It offers a high degree of passive safety and is suitable for use in schools, so long as your country sanctions the use of an EN B wing for training. On the other hand, the glider has impressive performance, which makes the ION 4 a wing for all occasions. It is suitable for gifted beginners as well as experienced pilots with cross-country ambitions. To the members of the development team it is of great importance that the demands on the pilots remain constant from one glider generation to the next. An ION is an ION.« Mario Eder, Chief test pilot
If you are unsure, your NOVA dealer will be happy to advise on the correct wing!
- Like the MENTOR, the ION is in a class of its own and with good reason – with each generation of wing the demand on the pilot has remained constant. What has changed is the performance, handling and the associated enjoyment of flight.
- On the ION 4 we have used a clever brake geometry - brake attachment points are positioned on the trailing edge to run in line with the direction of force. We call this Smart Brakes. The optimised brake geometry results in a clean trailing edge which markedly improves performance during slow flight.
- The tapered design of the wing tips is new and they are narrower in comparison to the ION 3. The result is a wing that is much easier to turn. The new wing tips, in combination with the Smart Brakes, has produced a handling which really excited our test pilots.
- We have used the know-how gained from our strength analysis testing in combination with our laser cutters to optimise the weight of the ION 4. The wing is as light as possible without compromising on strength and durability. Size XXS weighs less than 4kg while remaining extremely robust.
- One for all - the ION 4 offers ultimate flexibility. With little weight, it is excellent for hike & fly; its good performance makes it hungry for distance and thanks to its good nature many pilots will have blissful flights on this wing.
- New technologies: the ION 4 has been kitted out with all the features that make our wings perform so well. As well as Smart Cells and Air Scoop we have also used the new PPSL-191 lines for the first time. These reduce drag by approximately 12 percent - in comparison to conventional PPSL-160 lines, which are equally strong.
Take a look inside
Not a gram of unnecessary weight and really tough – the ION 4 has a structurally optimised internal construction. All internal ribs are cut depending on the force that is exerted on them. The result is a super-light wing weighing only 3.95 (XXS) to 5.30 (L) kilograms.
New PPSL-191 lines: super thin, super strong
Five characteristics that make a good line: thin, strong, easy to sort, robust and its length should remain basically constant. The new PPSL-191 has all these atributtes. This is the rationale for using this line on the ION 4. Ultimate strength and ultimate simplicity thanks to its sheathing - with minimal drag!
346.8 ionised kilometres
»I didn't believe that it would be possible to build a wing with such a low aspect ratio but with so much performance. The ION 4 proved me wrong! As well as the incredible glide performance the wing offers an impressive thermalling experience. The ION bites into the thermal and it feels like it locates the best climb all by itself. No surging, no correction needed - it just climbs. It's great!« Berni Peßl, XC champion and record holder, extensively tested the ION 4 in Quixadá (Brazil)
Optimised cell widths. Smart Cells counteract the variable force distribution within the wing that are caused by the line attachments. In NOVA paragliders constructed using SmartCells, the cell widths have been adapted to the load - basically, intelligent cells. Wings with SmartCells fly more calmly, are more compact and glide better.
Flat profile nose. Anyone who tries to fold a piece of paper around a ball will notice that there are always creases. The nose profile of a paraglider is the same - the sail cloth has to adjust to both the profile and ballooning effect (cells are round, not straight). Double 3D Shaping uses additional seams to reduce creasing and therefore increases the performance of the wing.
Light and durable. Paragliders in the Weight-optimised category are lighter than conventional paragliders - but offer the same mechanical stability and durability. These wings are lighter to carry, easier to launch and are therefore suitable for hike & fly. Weight-optimised is aimed at pilots who appreciate light weight without compromising on durability.
Under pressure. NOVA Air Scoop is an optimised air intake, which increases the internal wing pressure. Nova's Air Scoop principle is similar to the ram-air inlet duct on a sports car: increased airflow produces higher pressure. Higher internal pressure in a paraglider means improved performance through increased structural stability and collapse resistance.
More compact. The aspect ratio of a glider is not the only factor in passive safety, but still a very important one. A high aspect ratio favours cravats after asymmetric collapses, generally shortens brake travel and normally makes wings more difficult to fly. Nova's analytical tools permit us to build performance wings even with a low or moderate aspect ratio.
Comfort on the ground. All NOVA paragliders are made to be easy to use. For packing you can use a concertina bag, but it is not essential. Our extensive experience with rods has taught us that the packing method has little influence on the durability of the wing. Bent rods quickly spring back into their original shape.
The NOVA Speedbrake Riser is the first three-liner riser which permits the glider to be accelerated as well as decelerated. It brings an end to pulling the C-lines, which killed performance.
We recommend the Speedbrake Riser for cross-country pilots. If you prefer relaxed recreational flying, hill soaring or frequent groundhandling we recommend the standard riser without the Speedbrake strap.
The MENTOR 4 light can be ordered with Speedbrake Risers for a reduced extra cost. This offer is only valid for new wing purchases which are not yet delivered to the customer. More about Speedbrake Riser.
|Number of cells||49||49||49||49||49|
|Projected aspect ratio||3,44||3,44||3,44||3,44||3,44|
|Flat aspect ratio||5,14||5,14||5,14||5,14||5,14|
|Line diameter||0,7 / 0,8 / 1,0 /1,2 / 1,3|
|Total line length||217||229||240||250||262|
|Recommended take off weight||55-80||70-90||80-100||90-110||100-130|
|Leading edge:||Dominico 30D, 41 g/m2|
|Top surface:||Dominico 20D, 35 g/m2|
|Lower surface:||Dominico 20D, 35 g/m2|
|Profile ribs (suspended):||Porcher Skytex 40 Hard, 40g/m2|
|Profile ribs (unsuspended):||Porcher Skytex 40 Hard, 40g/m2|
|Main lines:||Liros PPSL 191 / TSL 140|
|Gallery lines:||Edelrid U-8000 series|
|Brake lines:||Cousin 85|
Trim Tuning – the better line service
Trim Tuning is unique service for NOVA pilots. The system not only checks the individual line lengths - it also checks for any deviation in line length in comparison to each other, i. e. the difference in line length from A to B, from B to C as well as A to C. The result of NOVA Trim Tuning is perfect trim, perfectly balancing the angle of attack and the relative length variations of the A, B and C lines.
By comparison, during a conventional service, only the individual line lengths are considered - not the overall configuration and the relationship of one line to another. The consequence is that the performance, handling and flying characteristics are not identical to a new, correctly tuned paraglider.
Standard Colours: Lime; Petrol; Pink; Red
Custom Colours: Choose your colours here then email us the NOVA colour code with your order.
Scope of delivery
- NOVA Rucksack. The wing and harness will determine the size of the rucksack. We are offering our high quality and comfortable to carry models in S (110 litres), M (145 litres) and L (165 litres).
- Speed system.Your paraglider is fitted with a high quality speed system. Thanks to three holes in the cord attachment point, it will flexibly and simply adapt to your harness and leg length.
- Repair kit. Everyone hopes it will never happen: a hole or tear in the paraglider. We have included a minor damage repair kit in the right colour for such an eventuality.
- NOVA windsock. So you know where the wind is coming from, we have added a NOVA windsock. With a length of approximately 80cm it is large enough for a take-off site.
- Manual. We have enclosed a very detailed manual which contains everything you need to know about your paraglider. Please study it before flying your wing for the first time.
- Student Riser (optional). As an option, we offer our Student Riser made of 20mm Nylon webbing. It is more wide, coloured and is more comfortable on the ground.
According to the DGAC (France), the ION 4 will be registered for powered flight. Our adventure intermediate is suitable for both free flying and paramotoring. You can find the certification documents in the Downloads section. Especially for powered flight, we have developed a riser with two mounts. It is suitable for two different hook-in heights.
Service Info & FAQs
Read Nova Paragliders service information and answers to frequently asked questions here.
Nova Ion 4 Reviews
|EN Certification||EN B|
|LTF Certification||LTF B|
|Model Status||Past model|
Nova Ion 4 (PAST MODEL) Reviews
Launching: in a steady breeze launching is just that; a breeze. You don’t even need control input; just lean back and up she goes. In strong winds the wing comes up quite fast and needs a pull on the C-risers to keep you on the ground, but there is no tendency to overfly.
In flight it is solid as a rock; it feels very well pressurised and damps out pitch movements nicely. You need to be a little bit sensitive to read what the air is doing; the wing whispers rather than shouting at you. Turning is easy and precise, with progressively increasing brake pressure. Big ears come in and out with no drama and produce a good sink rate. Speedbar is smooth and effective.
Landing is simple, and requires only a gentle pull on the brakes to produce a good flare.
All in all a beautifully designed machine that combines a great feeling of safety with good performance. I can hardly wait to take it to the mountains!