Nova Ibex 3 (PAST MODEL)
Superseded by the IBEX 4.
Lightweight, high performing, uncomplicated: the IBEX 3 is an ultralight wing (from 2.5kg) made by mountaineers for mountaineers.
By mountaineers – for mountaineers
The performance featherweight (EN/LTF A-C)
The IBEX 3 XXS is aimed at pilots who appreciate a small wing with a lot of performance; the IBEX 3 XS and S are fully-fledged thermaling wings (EN/LTF A).
Impressive performance/weight ratio.
Either light or high performing – we were not prepared to settle for this compromise. The IBEX 3 offers both: very lightweight, combined with the performance you would expect from a NOVA wing. The IBEX 3 sets the glide performance standard in the ultralight class. This means the IBEX 3 is a fully-fledged paraglider, which impresses both in performance and in its agile handling.
One wing, three uses.
IBEX 1 and 2 were primarily aimed at those looking for a small, light paraglider. The IBEX 3 continues this tradition and offers a lot more: the XXS continues to be a small wing with lots of performance; XS and S (depending on wing loading) are fully-fledged paragliders which climb in thermals and make easy work of gliding. In-between is the hybrid zone. More info on this in the weight-range section. The IBEX 3 caters for a multitude of requirements.
Rough, alpine terrain is incompatible with complicated design concepts. Therefore the IBEX 3 has been made easy to use: the few lines are quick to sort; the mechanically loaded leading edge on the top surface is made of abrasion-resistant 20D cloth; the launch and flying characteristic are incredibly uncomplicated. This makes the IBEX 3 a wing that can be trusted in all eventualities.
The IBEX 3 is wing with a wide scope of applications and target groups. The XXS is tailor-made for experienced pilots (excepted very light pilots) and, depending on the wing-loading, the XS and S are suitable for a large group of pilots. All offer a high degree of passive safety if flown within the recommended take off weight-range. You will find more info on the correct size for you in the weight-range section.
For additional queries, your NOVA dealer will be happy to advise on the correct wing.
The IBEX 3 range:
- Pleasure – the optimal weight-range for recreational pilots. In the pleasure range the IBEX 3 offers a high degree of passive safety and convinces with a very good climb rate. The wing loading is equivalent to the one recommend for our standard paragliders. The pleasure range is also suitable for new pilots.
- Hybrid – more speed, more agility but still good climbs in thermals. Perfect for those who want more speed and agility but who do not wish to compromise on climbing in thermals. Higher speed can be useful in strong winds. The hybrid range is not suitable for new pilots.
- Fast – perfect for those looking for a fast, light wing with good performance. The fast range is reserved for experienced pilots who can handle the agility of small wings. These pilots can enjoy a nimble, playful wing.
Everything you need to know about the IBEX 3:
- The Dominico 10D sailcloth (26 g/m2) is made from thin, tightly weaved threads. This makes the cloth strong and also very durable.
- The top surface of the leading edge is under tension and is therefore made from 20D cloth (35 g/m2).
- Simplicity is our motto: few lines; all main lines are unsheathed; groundhandling as well as flying characteristics are designed for best possible glider control.
- one little tug and the wing inflates: hardly any of our gliders launch as easily as the IBEX 3. Good inflation behaviour is essential in the mountains where conditions can be difficult.
- the IBEX 3 is ultralight, but not too flimsy: the wing is robust enough for use in the mountains; internally it is constructed for durability and the light risers offer complete control.
- by mountaineers – for mountaineers: the IBEX 3 is a fully-fledged paraglider which has been designed to meet the needs of flying hikers and mountaineers. We live in the mountains, love hike & fly and are very motivated to have the best possible wing in our own rucksack and above us.
- With 2.5kg (XXS), 3kg (XS) and 3.5kg (S) the IBEX 3 is ultralight but its performance makes it unique in the ultralight paraglider class. Either light or high performing – we were not prepared to settle for this compromise. The IBEX 3 offers both.
Big 'big ears'
Rapidly changing weather is a latent risk in alpine terrain. So that you can lose height quickly, the IBEX 3 only has 2 A-lines. This allows big 'big ears' and sink rates of around 3 m/s can be achieved.
Pulling and releasing the ears is simple: pull, hold and then release. A quick stab of the brakes, preferably first one side, then the other, speeds up the release of the wing tips.
Big 'big ears' offers a notable safety advantage in alpine terrain.
Every IBEX 3 comes with an innovative Compression Bag. This reduces the volume of the packed wing, protects it from moisture and means it is packed flat, which makes it easier to carry. Pack the wing as small as possible, place it in the Compression Bag, squeeze out the air, close the bag and use the valve to release the remaining air.
The Compression Bag also protects the wing from body sweat, which can harm the coating of the cloth. It is also water proof, which is a valuable feature when undertaking vol bivouac tours.
Please don’t store the wing in the compression bag permanently. For this purpose we provide the conventional pack sack which is also included with the IBEX 3.
"Early morning my alarm clock is beeping. I set off for the Thaurer Jochspitze, the Mandlspitze or the Wildangerspitze. I love it when the sun rises from the Tyrol Unterland over the mountain tops and bathes the pastures in a warm, red glow. I record these memories with my camera before I open the wing and glide into the valley to go to work. To me the IBEX is more than just a paraglider. It is the key to my passion – flying mountaineering."
Design & Development
Flat profile nose.
Anyone who tries to fold a piece of paper around a ball will notice that there are always creases. The nose profile of a paraglider is the same - the sail cloth has to adjust to both the profile and ballooning effect (cells are round, not straight). Double 3D Shaping uses additional seams to reduce creasing and therefore increases the performance of the wing.
Optimised cell widths.
Smart Cells counteract the variable force distribution within the wing that are caused by the line attachments. In NOVA paragliders constructed using SmartCells, the cell widths have been adapted to the load - basically, intelligent cells. Wings with SmartCells fly more calmly, are more compact and glide better.
Comfort on the ground.
All NOVA paragliders are made to be easy to use. For packing you can use a concertina bag, but it is not essential. Our extensive experience with rods has taught us that the packing method has little influence on the durability of the wing. Bent rods quickly spring back into their original shape.
Less is more.
Our idea of a three-liner with a reduced amount of line length allows us to construct wings with very good performance and a high degree of passive safety. The way we have conceptualised the lines has made it possible to manufacture wings which are collapse resistant; but when they do collapse, the collapsed area is generally less extensive. This significantly improves the wing's extreme flight behaviour.
The aspect ratio of a glider is not the only factor in passive safety, but still a very important one. A high aspect ratio favours cravats after asymmetric collapses, generally shortens brake travel and normally makes wings more difficult to fly. Nova's analytical tools permit us to build performance wings even with a low or moderate aspect ratio.
Light as a feather and robust.
Very light but still durable: Light weight NOVA wings weigh little but are still robust enough to withstand the hard conditions of the mountains. The profiles are made out of durable cloth, so that this highly-stressed component does not deform - like it can with ultra-light material. This means we are able to guarantee consistent flying characteristics.
|Number of cells||39||39||39|
|Projected aspect ratio||3,39||3,39||3,39|
|Flat aspect ratio||4,68||4,68||4,68|
|Line diameter||1 / 1,4 / 1,85|
|Total line length||187||212||232|
|Zulässiges Recommended take off weight||50-98||58-95||75-110|
|Leading edge:||Dominico 20D, 35 g/m2|
|Top surface:||Dominico 10D, 26 g/m2|
|Lower sail:||Dominico 10D, 26 g/m2|
|Profile ribs (suspended):||Dominico 30D Rib, 41g/m2|
|Profile ribs (unsuspended):||Dominico 10D, 26 g/m2|
|Main lines||Liros PPSL 275 / TSL 280|
|Gallery lines:||Liros PPSL 160 / PPSL 120 / DC60|
|Brake lines:||Cousin 85|
One Colour: Orange.
There are no customised colours available for the IBEX 3.
Scope of delivery
- Compression Bag.The Compression Bag reduces the volume of the wing, protects it from sweat and helps to pack it flatter, which makes carrying it in your rucksack more comfortable.
- Repair kit. Everyone hopes it will never happen: a hole or tear in the paraglider. We have included a minor damage repair kit in the right colour for such an eventuality.
- NOVA windsock. So you know where the wind is coming from, we have added a NOVA windsock. With a length of approximately 80cm it is large enough for a take-off site.
- Manual. We have enclosed a very detailed manual which contains everything you need to know about your paraglider. Please study it before flying your wing for the first time.
Service Info & FAQs
Read Nova Paragliders service information and answers to frequently asked questions here.
- Manual (PDF)
|EN Certification||EN A, EN C|
|LTF Certification||LTF A, LTF C|
|Model Status||Past model|