The silence of the lifting air, the steady support under your balanced wing, the endless landscape that is slowly revealed: soaring is spectacular. Flying at Beachy Head on the south coast of England.
- Some people belong above the horizon. You can tell which kind you are by some common telltales. If you know the current wind direction, and which day will be sunny this week, you probably need to get into the blue...
- Flying can be a brief escape from a busy life crammed with other responsibilities. Finding the time to fly is part of the challenge, but you'll be richly rewarded. Don't wait, levitate!
- Let the view define you. It's easy to become too concerned with details and forget that when flying, you are in the presence of an amazing view ... and that you're part of it.
- On of the joys of freeflight is being separated from your shadow. But it's always there, fleeting through forests, dancing over water and sometimes a close companion on the cliffs.
- It's never guaranteed so it's even sweeter when it works the way you dreamed: that effortless escape from the ground that leads to adventures untold.
- Soaring over the South Downs in England. The air rises in a wave, shaped by the contours below.
- Paragliding along the Outeniqua Mountains in South Africa. Hunting for thermals over the high ground.
- Paragliding over the South Downs. England's countryside is covered by a network of public access walking paths, leading to many hidden sights. Sometimes, the sky promises more.
Paragliding photos from a wonderful cross country flight by paraglider from Devils Dyke near Brighton in East Sussex to Margate in Kent, via Ashford and Canterbury.